You know, my house is over 100 years old. During that time, not much work has been done on it. It's as the designers and real estate agents say, "of the period." Of course that means that my landlady collects top dollar for rent and does absolutely no upkeep.
When you live in a very old house and you have a landlady that does no upkeep, eventually problems occur with mold and mildew. Our bathrooms aren't the problem, although a nice spray of the X-14 Mold & Mildew Stain Remover that Mom Central asked me to revew solved the beginning of a mildew issue on the tub caulk.
Our problem is the kitchen sink. When I had to have it replaced, because God Forbid my landlady would pay for it to be replaced, I had the plumber put in a stainless steel model that wasn't an undercounter mount. So the sink fits over the counter fresh from 1955 complete with the lovely aluminum trim around the edges. And when you have a sink installed that fits over the counter and you don't want it to leak, you caulk it with a clear caulk that makes the sink edge watertight. Sounds easy, but when you have the plumber's teenage son installing your sink and leaving a full inch of clear caulk around the entire rim, well, you're gonna get some really gross mold and mildew.
Mold and mildew on that particular set of circumstances has been difficult to remove until I gave the X-14 a try. Now, there are two caveats I have about this product. One, it leaked in the shipping box so my house smelled like a 55 gallon drum of bleach had been shipped rather than a very small bottle, and two, my children both abhor the smell of bleach. Me, I like the smell. It smells like fresh laundry and clean clean clean to me, but my daughter gags if she smells it.
Thus I had to wait to try the product until the kids were out of the house for a long while, as the odor is very strong. Very strong.
But X-14 works! I mean it really really works. It ate right under the caulk and the hideous black mold spots disappeared like magic. And boy, was my sink shiny clean.
I think that this is a product that is great to have around, but it's not something I'd use on a weekly basis. When you need to get rid of mold or mildew, this is your go-to products. Great for cleaning outdoor furniture, bathrooms, and stuff in your basement. But if you just have a bit of mildew, I think I'd go with Comet with bleach. X-14 really works, but I'm guessing that it's overkill for small projects. For something big or super moldy, I'd go with X-14 any day.